|Students asked for essays on U.K.-TCI relationship|
|Friday, 21 October 2011 10:52|
Turks and Caicos Islands students aged 16-19 have a chance to tell the governor what they think about the “21st Century relationship between the U.K. and the TCI.”
As many as 10 winners of the national essay contest will win a 10-day trip to the U.K. in February, which will include a visit to Parliament.
“The competition is designed to promote serious discussion among secondary and tertiary level students about the relationship between the U.K. and the TCI in the context of the consultation launched by the governor on the U.K. government’s strategy for overseas territories,” according to the contest announcement.
His Excellency the Gov. Ric Todd is gathering information to use in discussions with the Overseas Territories Consultative Council and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for the development of a new White Paper on overseas territories policy.
Essay competition rules
1. Contestants must compose an original, unpublished essay with limited guidance from others on the topic: Essays must be between 1,000-1,500 words, not including title or footnotes.
2. Competition is open to all students aged 16-9 years old (on Feb. 1, 2012) registered in a secondary or tertiary level institution in the TCI.
3. Essays should be typewritten in English and must be double-spaced.
4. Each essay must bear the name of the student, e-mail address of the student, form, school, age and island. This information must be placed on a separate cover sheet. This information must ONLY appear on the cover sheet.
5. Each school should submit the Top Four Essays from among submissions received. Essays must be submitted to the Department of Youth Affairs not later than 4:30 p.m. Nov. 25.
6. The winners will be notified in December. Winners must hold a valid passport with no immigration impediment to enter the United Kingdom.
7. Prizes for competition will be awarded as follows: A 10-day visit to the U.K. in February to one student from each of the participating schools.
8. The Governor’s Office has to right to publish or otherwise duplicate any essay provided that proper credit is given to its author.
Questions about the competition should be directed to Angela Musgrove at 649-941-7471 or angela.musgrove@
Latest Local News
Tourist Board expands adding two new staff members
The Turks and Caicos Tourist Board announced this week it welcomed two new staff members to further More...
Cruise terminal to open April 8
Beginning Monday, April 8, thousands of cruise ship passengers will again begin to enjoy the More...
2013 TCI Elecrotal List Available
TCI 2013 Electors’ Register is Ready! Supervisor of Elections Mr. Dudley Lewis has announced More...
Misick Declared By-Election Winner
Supervisor of Elections Dudley Lewis has advised that the Progressive National Party's (PNP) Amanda More...
New Board leads TCHTA
On Wednesday, March 13, Turks and Caicos Hotel and Tourism Association (TCHTA) bid farewell to its More...